NEW: Trump Administration Joins Lakewood Resident’s Lawsuit Against New York’s Controversial Congestion Pricing Program

The U.S. Department of Transportation has joined a federal lawsuit brought by a Lakewood resident challenging New York City’s congestion-pricing program, siding with the plaintiffs in arguing that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority lacks legal authority to impose the tolls, TLS has learned.

The department filed a brief in the case, which was brought by Lakewood resident Denise Dunne, and two others, Tamara Lashchyk and Richard Manjarres. The plaintiffs are seeking to invalidate the controversial congestion-pricing program and recover tolls collected from motorists.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in New Jersey, names the MTA and the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority as defendants, and are seeking an end to the program which started on January 5, 2025. The plaintiffs are also seeking for the agencies to refund the tolls they contend were illegally collected.

At issue is the federal Value Pricing Pilot Program, which the plaintiffs contend does not provide the MTA with authority to impose congestion tolls on drivers entering Manhattan.

The case could have significant implications for New Jersey motorists, who make up a substantial portion of drivers traveling into Manhattan and are subject to the congestion charge.

The MTA and TBTA have opposed the lawsuit and have asked the court to dismiss the claims, arguing the program was lawfully established and that the plaintiffs’ legal arguments should be rejected.

The federal government’s decision to support the plaintiffs marks a significant development in the case. The Transportation Department previously approved the congestion-pricing plan under the Biden administration, but the Trump administration has since sought to end the program.

New York officials have defended congestion pricing as a means of reducing traffic in Manhattan and raising money for public transportation. Critics have argued that the toll unfairly burdens drivers, particularly those traveling into New York from neighboring states.

The lawsuit remains pending in federal court.

This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at [email protected].

Stay up to date with our news alerts by following us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected], Text 415-857-2667, or WhatsApp 609-661-8668.

3 COMMENTS

Subscribe
Notify of

Answer the question below to prove you\'re human *

3 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Asinine Commenter
1 hour ago

Trump Administration Joins Forces With Lakewood Resident In Declaring War on NY City’s MTA & TBTA
“If The MTA & TBTA Would Abandon Their Congestion-Pricing Program Now, The War Would End Immediately,” President Trump Says
The Trump administration this week joined forces with a resident of Lakewood, NJ and two other US citizens in officially declaring (a federal lawsuit) war on NY City’s MTA and TBTA.
“We’ve tried to settle this matter via negotiations,” President Trump told reporters today in the Oval Office, “but the MTA & TBTA are trying to pull the wool over our eyes, because, from day-one, they were never really serious about ending their congestion-pricing program.”
“The US Dept. of Transportation (DOT) and I will never allow the MTA and TBTA to seize control of the streets of Manhattan!” the President asserted. “All cars in this country must be granted the same access to Manhattan’s roadways that they had till now, without additional tolls, or else the United States will take over full control of this vital east coast borough!”
The President also warned NYC officials that the MTA and TBTA have yet to experience the full might of the US Dept. of Transportation’s arsenal.
“The US DOT has some of the world’s most powerful economic weapons in its arsenal,” the President said, “and we will use those economic weapons if we have to…, but I’d prefer to end this quarrel peacefully, without resorting to economic force.”

Bubbie
1 hour ago

Maybe we can also get them to join the lawsuit to fix the educational funding formula?

Oh, wait, that probably won’t work….

Yerushalayim is our Home
1 hour ago

Lakewood leads in the USA!!!


3
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x