TRPD: Cooking spray explosion lands woman in hospital with severe burns

A woman cooking in her kitchen was severely burned when a cooking spray exploded in her face, Toms River Police say.

At approximately 5:20 pm yesterday, Police, Fire, and EMS units responded to a home on Almond Drive in reference to an injured female.

Upon arrival, they met the 46-year-old homeowner on the front porch. The woman had extensive burns to her face, torso, and thighs. Officer Anthony Paciulli observed a heavy smoke condition from within the residence and made his way to the kitchen where he located a small fire.

The fire was extinguished and the woman was treated by Silverton Volunteer EMS. The Silverton Fire Department arrived to secure the scene and ventilate the home of excess smoke.

The patient was airlifted to a burn center.

“Initial indications are that the woman was cooking on the stovetop when a can of nonstick spray exploded,” police said. “The contents then released super-heated liquid and flames onto the victim causing her injuries.”

Detective James Carey, of the Toms River Police Department and Arson Detective Thomas Haskell from the Ocean County Prosecutors Office are conducting the investigation. Also assisting is Investigator Domenick Roseli of the Toms River Bureau of Fire Prevention.

This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at [email protected].

Stay up to date with our news alerts by following us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

**Click here to join over 15,000 receiving our Whatsapp Status updates!**

**Click here to join the official TLS WhatsApp Community!**

Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected], Text 415-857-2667, or WhatsApp 609-661-8668.


  1. I wish a speedy recovery with no lasting effects to this unfortunate woman. It’s summer and we are all grilling and chilling. It’s important NOT to leave cooking sprays anywhere near the grill or spray on or around anything that is on the fire indoors (including electric stoves) and outdoors. These cans heat up pretty fast. Even non-flammable sprays such as Weber’s can explode if left by the grill simply because the internal pressure will increase under heat.

Comments are closed.