Submitted: The following is in response to the letter posted on TLS last night:
It’s a real struggle. And as many mothers are, I am being forced to take off some time as well as juggle some working remotely with the kids home.
But I am officially just taking off some days to spend with the kids.
I’ll share a list of some inexpensive or free things to do if you can take some time off. For example – I worked until 2 one day and then set off for a trip. The kids listened to stories on Naki radio and colored or read books or played games (and may or may not have fought) until I was available to go.
Things to Do in/near Lakewood that are Inexpensive (below $20)
Thank you to all that contributed!
- Popcorn Park zoo (abt 20 min drive)
- Chuck E Cheese
- Many parks around town – bring ices etc
- Slurpees / Ritas
- Allaire state park – has an old fashioned village where you experience what it was like to live in Olden Days. (Check when it’s open). It also has a park. And a train ride.
- Ice Skating pretty empty in summer – either Jersey shore arena or Howell Ice Rink or Winding River – Check when they have open Skating
- Cattus Island state park – has trails – some lead to water and can go into the water. Some areas have beach – later in day shouldn’t be full
- Jake’s Branch County Park – has a playground trail. Starts with huge playground then continue on trail and it leads to a small play area with shape of one insect (like a bee) and then continue to next playground with another shape insect (like an ant) etc
- Pine Lake Park
- Silverton Park – Park is so cute. Swings, slides, a whole playground and a grassy area to play ball or kites
- Safari (on more expensive side)
- Rosenfelds Ranch – Pony Goats Sheep Chickens Bunnies – Sundays 12-5 and for weekday hours Text 929-326-2188
- Jackson Sprinkler and Wood Park (free)
- Soldiers Memorial Park in Howell (free)
- Manasquan Reservoir Visitors center
- Spiel World
- Horse Races at Monmouth Park https://www.monmouthpark.com/horse-racing/scratches-and-changes/
- Silverton farms – cute place and also can pick flowers and produce for cheap and delicious organic produce for sale in shop
- Honkey Tonk Ranch – $15 per car
- Bowling (there’s a few)
- Trip to $5 Below and each kid gets to pick something
- Common Grounds Garden at John Patrick Park in Lakewood (closed Tues 8/23 4-6pm for private event)
- Vegetable picking (there are bunch of places within 30 min drive.)
- Batsto Village- interesting historic village with a mansion tour and picnic tables to eat.
Feel free to add your ideas!