Small Pool Of NJ FamilyCare Members Spared From Gov. Christie Budget Cuts

dr_shanik's_offc_tlsAbout 1,300 working poor people without children will remain on NJ FamilyCare, the popular state-run health insurance program that otherwise saw significant cuts in the new budget that took effect last week. Republican Gov. Chris Christie’s budget left intact a $4 million line-item inserted by the Democrats that would continue coverage for 1,300 people who have received coverage through FamilyCare since at least 2003, said Sen. Joseph Vitale (D-Middlesex). To save money, the program was closed to adults without children eight years ago.

Department of Human Services spokeswoman Nicole Brossoie confirmed the state will continue to pays all costs associated with covering this group of people.

Letters will go out this week from the state alerting people of the good news, Vitale said. They have already received a notice announcing their coverage would be canceled July 1, he said.

Vitale called the protected line-item one of the few bits of good news for working poor people in need of health care. More in Star Ledger.

This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at [email protected].

Stay up to date with our news alerts by following us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

**Click here to join over 15,000 receiving our Whatsapp Status updates!**

**Click here to join the official TLS WhatsApp group!**

Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected], Text 415-857-2667, or WhatsApp 609-661-8668.

Check out the latest on TLS instagram