Sandy Cleanup in Lakewood Cost Close to $5 Million

Though not nearly as bad as other Shore towns, Lakewood sure took a beating during Hurricane Sandy. According to numbers TLS obtained from the Township’s Deputy Municipal Manager Steven Reinman, Sandy cleanup in Lakewood cost close to $5,000,000.

Reinman says Lakewood is expected to pay for 10% of the cleanup costs, while the remaining 90% will be paid for by the State – from Federal funds. While the standard formula calls for a 75%/25% split between FEMA and municipalities, in this case Governor Christie expects NJ to reach the trigger point in total sandy-related expenses by mid-April, at which time the formula will automatically move to 90%/10%.

But with Lakewood set to receive several hundred thousand dollars more as reimbursement for Police and DPW overtime and other eligible expenses, the amount the cleanup will actually cost the Township is near zero, Reinman says. TLS.

This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at [email protected].

Stay up to date with our news alerts by following us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

**Click here to join over 15,000 receiving our Whatsapp Status updates!**

**Click here to join the official TLS WhatsApp group!**

Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected], Text 415-857-2667, or WhatsApp 609-661-8668.

Check out the latest on TLS instagram

11 COMMENTS

  1. Chaveirim saved Lakewood Township probably another few hundred thousand dollars plus many lives by clearing the streets during the eye of the storm.

  2. what damage did lakewood have?? some trees on rt 88 and georgean ct college? its terrible that we think we were beaten up by sandy so badly, when so many towns are still haunted from sandy.

  3. i think that if the township would have gathered the Mexicans together, they would have done the job for way less and would have done a better job at that.

Comments are closed.