PHOTO: Lakewood Family Luckily Unharmed in Hotplate Incident

A Lakewood family was luckily unharmed when their hot plate exploded on Shabbos.

“It just made a loud noise and shattered all over…. there was glass everywhere, but no fire bh.”

The resident tells TLS the hot plate was not covered, but had items on it at the time.

This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at [email protected].

Stay up to date with our news alerts by following us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

**Click here to join over 20,000 receiving our Whatsapp Status updates!**

**Click here to join the official TLS WhatsApp Community!**

Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected], Text 415-857-2667, or WhatsApp 609-661-8668.

10 COMMENTS

  1. When informed that a Lakewood family’s hot plate exploded on Shabbos, one Lakewood resident told reporters on Sunday: “I’m not sure which is worse, a hot plate, with Cholent on top, exploding, or a stomach, with cholent inside of it, exploding.”
    “Sadly, the latter situation is something that occurs to me every Shabbos,” he said, “and I can’t just replace my stomach every week, especially nowadays with high-inflation and a decrease in supply of combustible food-storage goods.”

  2. You don’t need to be a big investigator to figure out which brand of hotplate this is.
    It is supposedly Intertek ETL certified, so I would go on their website and file an investigation into why it malfunctioned. You may be saving lives.

    Personally, I like to verify that the hotplate I use with an ETL logo on it, also appears on their list of approved products. Too many products out there mention that certification illegally. Retzicha Mamesh.

  3. The local stores here in town sell hot plates that do not have a glass top and I never ever heard of an explosion.
    Buying a hot plate online is not a great idea.
    A local store can tell you that we already sold 100 hot plates of this exact model and all the customers are happy.

  4. It is not a joking matter. I do not know the details, if there were any injuries. But elelectrical fires ate a serious matter. People need to be educated in the proper use of electrical appliances and more so those being used for extended periods such as Shabbos or Yom Tov.

  5. If your stomach explodes after eating cholent, then you should change your eating habits. Eat less, that’s probably the problem, soak the beans first, don’t put beans in your cholents, don’t eat so much other food first. Eat smaller portions etc. I have no problem with my stomach as I eat in moderation.

  6. This isn’t the first report on TLS about this model hotplate exploding iirc, and many such complains can be found on the amazon reviews for this product.

    The question I have is whether this issue is a fire hazard at all or whether it’s about potential injury from the shattering glass. It appears that in all these incidents, the heating mechanism remains intact. This would explain the ETL rating which I’d assume is only attesting to the safety of the electronic components.

Comments are closed.