With the Pesach Holiday season upon us the Lakewood Board of Fire Commissioners in conjunction with Fire Chief Jonathan Yahr, Fire Prevention Coordinator Jacob Woolf, Fire Department Chaplain Rabbi Moshe Rotberg, members of the Lakewood Fire Department and the Office of the Ocean County Fire Marshall remind the community to be mindful of the following hazards to ensure a safe Chametz Burning experience.
Only use the following sites that has been pre-designated and authorized by the Ocean County Fire Marshal’s Office. These sites will be open on Friday, April 15, from 7AM to 12PM:
Parking Lot of Jersey Shore BlueClaws Stadium
Patrick Park (Vine Street);
D’zio Park (New Hampshire Avenue & Locust Street);
Sunset Road Synagogue (Khal Zichron Yaakov);
Private Way and 7th Street – BMG
Clifton Avenue and 10th Street – BMG
Brook Road Park (Frank Bartolf Park); and
The Fire Department asks that only Chametz which must be burned as required be placed in the burn sites. We have seen people throw all types of garbage into the fires in previous years. This contributes to larger than necessary fires that increase the risk of injury.
DO NOT throw any flammable or combustible items into the fire or any bottles, both glass and plastic.
DO NOT throw any cans (i.e., baked beans, soups, etc.) into the fire as these may explode and lead to hot liquid being expelled into the crowd.
DO NOT wrap your bread in silver foil as it will not burn.
The Fire Department would like to remind everyone that unauthorized burns are illegal. However, if you must burn the Chometz on your own, only use a portable, outdoor, solid-fuel-burning fireplace that may be constructed of steel, concrete, clay or other noncombustible material. Fireplaces (i.e., fire pits, chimeneas, charcoal barbecue grill, etc.) shall be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and shall not be placed within 15 feet of a structure (i.e.: house, shed, deck, etc.) or combustible material. Do not leave barbecue grills unattended and keep children as well as pets away. Avoid wearing loose fitting clothing when igniting and using a fireplace. Make sure fireplaces are extinguished before leaving.
The Lakewood Fire Department wishes all a Happy, Healthy, Safe and Peaceful Holiday.