Parents Beware: A Lakewood Toddler Choked on This Candy Dispenser [PHOTOS]

A Lakewood mother today wants to bring awareness after her toddler choked on a piece of a candy dispenser.

The mother tells TLS she found her two-year-old choking on the top piece of the dispenser, and called Hatozlah.

By the time Hatzolah arrived, the piece had fully gone down and the child was breathing, the mother says.

“It’s not hard for a child to bite it off,” the mother said.

Hatzolah ensured the child was able to breath and drink properly, and the child did not require hospitalization.

Earlier this month, a Lakewood child was hospitalized in critical condition after choking on a candy toy. The child B”H made a miraculous recovery, and the candy has since been pulled from the shelves.

This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at [email protected].

Stay up to date with our news alerts by following us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

**Click here to join over 15,000 receiving our Whatsapp Status updates!**

**Click here to join the official TLS WhatsApp Community!**

Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected], Text 415-857-2667, or WhatsApp 609-661-8668.


  1. all candy and candy dispensers or bags have to be age appropriate for the child. A kid can choke chalila on a sour ball candy. Parental responsibility can never be shifted over to the manufacturers. the candy industry has to constantly create excitement and innovation. the consumer has to be cautious and level-headed.

    • The manufacturers should have a warning about hard candies that can get dislodged from the dispenser. Parents wouldn’t serve hard candies to young children but mistakenly think they are securely attached.

  2. On a very serious note. Can all the grocery stores please get together and inspect all these candies, and if they determine that it’s not safe, they should send it straight back to the manufacturer.

    I am sure the grocery stores don’t want to sell anything dangerous for children.

    Thanks in advance.

  3. That’s what’s going to keep happening again and again as long as we allow Chinese manufactured candy to be sold, the Chinese have no accountability and and no care about the end user, also I would be concerned about kashrus when something is coming from China where they might be nefarious and have intent to harm, or just lack of caring, just saying

  4. No matter whos fault or who is responsible for the child’s safety on the end of the day, the manufacturer, the wholesaler, the grocery and even the parents are legally responsible and can be sued big time.
    Yes. suing goes through ‘arkoois’ and is probably not muter to pursue, however, there always will be someone suing and will find a ‘left field’ heter.
    So beware.

  5. The candy that the the incident happend with has been around for years yet due to the flack they had pulled it from the shelf.

    There is another company that makes the same style from a different manufacturer and had checked the product and it was deemed safe.

    The bottom line is every candy out there is dangerous and its only meant to be licked and or eaten in a specific way. If you attempt to bite the plastic housing you are asking for trouble.

    Same with vehicles, if there is a recall on a Honda odyssey where something is dangerous and needs to be addressed that does not mean a the toyota sienna is bad as its the same style.

  6. You’ll notice a warning label on the side of the package that says CHOKING HAZARD: Not suitable for children under the age of 3.
    Perhaps local toy stores should stop carrying Lego products to protect children.
    אין לדבר סוף.
    Use your seichel.

Comments are closed.