Submitted to TLS by NWCP: The air will be filled with much excitement as the roads to the Meadowlands fill with thousands of Yidden traveling from all across the country to the Siyum Hashas in New Jersey today. People will be coming by car, bus, and even airplane. However, although going for a mitzvah, the unexpected can still occur.
NWCP Baltimore has established a text messaging (SMS) group which allows people to register their cell phone numbers so that they will be informed of any assistance people may need along the way. Because so many people will be travelling to and from the Siyum, there is a good chance that another Siyum goer or community organization member is nearby, and can be recruited to help.
HOW THIS WORKS:
- In the event of an emergency while traveling (G-D forbid a traffic accident, mechanical problem, etc.,) first notify 911, AAA (or whatever service is appropriate given the circumstance), then call the NWCP 24 hour dispatcher at
410-664-6927 ext. 1.
- We will send out an SMS message to the group.
- If someone is nearby, they will be able to stop and assist as needed.
TO SIGN UP:
- From your SMS device, send a message to 888777.
- In the body of the message, type SIYUM.
- You will receive a response indicating that you are registered.
Additionally, the NWCP has been in contact with other organizations throughout New Jersey who will also be participating in this program.
This service is available to anyone, regardless of their geographic location.
NOTE: Interstate Chaverim, who provide services throughout the year by linking Chaverim divisions throughout the country, can also dispatch Chaverim units in the event of a mechanical breakdown. Interstate Chaverim can be reached by calling: 845-425-HELP