A new AAA poll indicates that New Jersey drivers are adjusting their daily driving habits, their travel plans and their travel budgets to accommodate for record gas prices – but still planning road trips this summer, as evidenced by the traffic on our roads this past weekend.
“There is no overstating the pent-up demand to travel in the wake of COVID,” says Tracy Noble, spokesperson for AAA Mid-Atlantic. “While gas prices will discourage some, those who still want to go are simply cutting back elsewhere.”
The new AAA poll of New Jersey drivers points to three ways they are saving money.
- Adjusting daily driving behaviors
65% of New Jersey drivers say they have adjusted their daily driving behaviors because of gas prices. This is up 15% from late last year when the average price of gas in New Jersey was closer to $3.50. Of those cutting back:
- More than 40% say they are consolidating or running fewer errands.
- More than 55% say they are limiting their driving any way they can.
- Not commuting to work
Less than half (44%) of New Jersey drivers say they typically commute to work. Of those who do typically commute:
- About 20% say they try to work from home more often
- About 10% say they carpool or ride share to work more often
- Adjusting travel plans or travel budget
Almost 60% of New Jersey drivers making summer travel plans say gas prices have factored in to their planning. Of those planning to travel this summer:
- About a third (32%) say they are taking fewer trips because of gas prices
- 15% say they are taking shorter trips because of gas prices
- 20% say they are adjusting their travel budget for dining or lodging because of gas prices
“Even though gas prices have started to fall, these adjustments in behavior will likely linger as long as gas stays above four dollars a gallon, possibly even longer,” Noble adds.
AAA Tips and Resources for Saving While on the Road
- Shop around – Gas prices can vary dramatically corner to corner, county to county and certainly state to state. Use the AAA app or the AAA Fuel Finder to locate the least expensive gas near you.
- Map it out – As you make plans for that Great American Road Trip, use the AAA Gas Cost Calculator to determine your fuel costs so you can budget accordingly.
- Take advantage of AAA Discounts and Rewards – Members who join the Shell FUEL REWARDS® program save 30 cents/gallon on first fill-up and 5 cents a gallon after that.
The AAA survey of 609 residents in New Jersey was conducted June 17-18, 2022, by Public Policy Polling. The survey has a margin of error of +/- 3.9%.