MANHUNT OVER: “Armed and dangerous” Tuckerton shooting suspect in custody

Ocean County Prosecutor Bradley D. Billhimer announced that Miguel Angel Villegas, 29, of New Haven, Connecticut was taken in to custody at Penn Station in New York, NY shortly after 8pm this evening by the United States Marshals Service and the New York City Police Department. “A massive manhunt began earlier today after Villegas exchanged gunfire with a Tuckerton Borough Police Officer earlier this morning in Tuckerton,” Prosecutor Billhimer said. Villegas was taken into custody this evening without incident.

At approximately 10:22 a.m. this morning, a Tuckerton Borough Police Officer exchanged gunfire with Villegas after the vehicle he was a passenger in fled a lawful motor vehicle stop near the intersection of Route 9 and North Green Street and caused a subsequent collision with another vehicle. The Officer was not injured in the exchange of gunfire. Villegas fled on foot and a massive manhunt ensued ending in New York City this evening.

“Villegas will be charged with Attempted Murder, Kidnapping, Unlawful Possession of a Weapon, and Possession of a Handgun for an Unlawful Purpose,” Prosecutor Billhimer stated. “It is my understanding that Villegas is wanted out of Connecticut. We will be seeking extradition from New York to bring him back here to Ocean County to face these charges,” Prosecutor Billhimer added.

“I’d like to thank the collaborative efforts of the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office, United States Marshals Service, New York City Police Department, Tuckerton Borough Police Department, Little Egg Harbor Police Department, New Jersey State Police, New Jersey State Police Regional Operations Intelligence Center, New Jersey State Police Aviation Unit, New Jersey Transit Police, Ocean County Regional SWAT, Ocean County Sheriff’s Office Crime Scene Investigation Unit, Ocean County Sheriff’s Office K-9, New Haven Police (Connecticut), Port Authority Police, Tuckerton Fire Department and Tuckerton Public Works Department. This was truly a team effort. The public can rest easy tonight knowing the men & women of law enforcement worked through the day into tonight to bring Villegas into custody peacefully,” Prosecutor Billhimer added.

“Even though Villegas is in custody, this remain an ongoing investigation. More details will be released as they become available,” Prosecutor Billhimer concluded.

This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at [email protected].

Stay up to date with our news alerts by following us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

**Click here to join over 20,000 receiving our Whatsapp Status updates!**

**Click here to join the official TLS WhatsApp Community!**

Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected], Text 415-857-2667, or WhatsApp 609-661-8668.


Comments are closed.