We came to pick her up late at night as soon as we arrived back in town. My husband went upstairs to get my baby and when he came to her crib, he noticed to his horror that the top of the pacifier with which she goes to sleep nightly, was destroyed. It looked like it had been chewed on very strongly but my baby doesn’t have any teeth yet. The pacifier nipple had ripped in half by mere sucking.
At first we could not locate the small missing piece and feared that she may have swallowed it. We contemplated calling our pediatrician to check out her breathing because a rubber piece like that can be a silent killer by getting stuck somewhere along the digestive path.
Baruch Hashem, after looking around her crib and then undressing her, we located it!
I am writing this story as a warning. I can’t even think about what could have happened! A piece like that, if swallowed, can kill! Chasdei Hashem, we experienced a miracle.
Please be aware that these pacifiers, although they’re pretty and stylish, are a huge choking hazard and should not be given to your baby!
(TLS welcomes your letters by submitting them to [email protected])
UPDATE: The letter caught the attention of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, which is now investigating the incident.