Letter: Frightening [UPDATE: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission investigating]

We had a simcha out of town and put our 7-month old baby to sleep at my parents house.

We came to pick her up late at night as soon as we arrived back in town. My husband went upstairs to get my baby and when he came to her crib, he noticed to his horror that the top of the pacifier with which she goes to sleep nightly, was destroyed. It looked like it had been chewed on very strongly but my baby doesn’t have any teeth yet. The pacifier nipple had ripped in half by mere sucking.

At first we could not locate the small missing piece and feared that she may have swallowed it. We contemplated calling our pediatrician to check out her breathing because a rubber piece like that can be a silent killer by getting stuck somewhere along the digestive path.

Baruch Hashem, after looking around her crib and then undressing her, we located it!

I am writing this story as a warning. I can’t even think about what could have happened! A piece like that, if swallowed, can kill! Chasdei Hashem, we experienced a miracle.

Please be aware that these pacifiers, although they’re pretty and stylish, are a huge choking hazard and should not be given to your baby!

(TLS welcomes your letters by submitting them to [email protected])

UPDATE: The letter caught the attention of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, which is now investigating the incident.

This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at [email protected].

Stay up to date with our news alerts by following us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

**Click here to join over 15,000 receiving our Whatsapp Status updates!**

**Click here to join the official TLS WhatsApp group!**

Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected], Text 415-857-2667, or WhatsApp 609-661-8668.

Check out the latest on TLS instagram

20 COMMENTS

  1. All pacifiers and bottle nipples should be checked regularly for signs of weakness or tearing. It’s not specific to this company’s pacifiers.

  2. I had a similar experience, my baby was 2.5 months old (if course no teeth) and the paci blew up huge and tore threw the center of the nipple…these pacifiers should not be sold, should be taken off the market

  3. I used the bibs pacifier for my newborn premie and after a month bought a new one because I needed more. I noticed (I took a picture) that the old one was 2-3x the size of the new one. I experimented again and after 3 weeks the same thing happened. This was with a weak premie baby suck! The pacifiers were getting enlarged and eventually would break from stretching. They are dangerous unless you replace them every 2 weeks. It is hard to notice the enlargement because it happens gradually, unless you put it near a new one. I went back to one piece silicone but sadly my baby never loved it. It was a price to pay for her safety. Please be aware, while we all love these new pacifiers beauty can sometimes be dangerous! Hashem should watch over all!

    • None of my kids ever took a pacifier until my 3rd, when someone bought me an Itzy Ritzy. They sell it on amazon. It is one piece and rubbery, but a softer type of rubber than the hospital ones. He loves it and teethes on it and it is very strong.

  4. The company of this one is FRIGG which is a newer company that started after the BIBS pacifiers got recalled. But unfortunately these seem to be having the same problem. After a very short time of use they expand and can either split open or tear very easily!

  5. As an old fashioned Bubby, who really likes to buy nice things, I’d like to know who buys a pacifier because it looks beautiful? Of all things!

  6. NF, I have 8 children knh and never had an issue with any company other than Bibs. Maam,Ma’am,, and many others lived in my home for months or years until they got lost. Never had an issue. The bibs blew up with 2-3 weeks. Scary.

Comments are closed.