Lakewood Mayor Ray Coles responds to your ‘Ask The Mayor’ questions: Enforcement

The following is an ‘Ask The Mayor’ question submitted to TLS, and the Mayor’s response. Email your questions for the Mayor to [email protected].


Dear Mr. Mayor,

People have been complaining for the last few years about the overbuilding and overcrowding in town which leads to terrible traffic conditions. However as someone who has lived in Lakewood for many years and who travels to other parts of the state every day I can tell you that Lakewood is in fact becoming overcrowded but not much more than other cities. I feel the real traffic issue stems from drivers talking on the cellphone (even on Bluetooth) and even more so, from texting. I see every day the light change to green and 10 or 15 and sometimes even 20 seconds or more go by until the first car begins slowly moving! Obviously while finishing the text! Why is there not more enforcement of this offense ? Why do I not see cars pulled over right and left for this ? In NYC there is zero tolerance for this. It’s dangerous and really disrupt the traffic flow. I feel if there was a major crackdown for 3 months, we would see a major improvement in traffic flow. It works in every other major city. In Jerusalem after the 3rd offense of talking on a cell phone they suspend your license for 14 days. We need to see some more enforcement. Sometime I feel like doing a citizens arrest when a cell phone user causes me to sit in more traffic than I need to. It’s really frustrating and something that should be addressed.

(A solution for the green light issue may be installing horns that blow when the light changes.)

A very frustrated driver who holds his horn down the second the light changes to green.

Response from Mayor Coles:

Good morning,

I agree that this is a major issue in town. There was a recent enforcement action done in town & over 120 cellphone tickets were given out. But that does not begin to address the problem. We all need to realize that this is a major safety concern that goes beyond the inconvenience of waiting at a traffic light. I am sure that anyone who improperly uses a cell phone while driving has at least had one close call because they were not paying attention while driving. Law enforcement alone will not solve this problem. We need to realize that the phone can wait. Put on the “Do Not Disturb” feature so that incoming texts will not distract you. If you need to call while driving, make sure you have Bluetooth & use it properly. Do not even think about writing your own text behind the wheel whether you are waiting for a light or not. When you are behind the wheel, you are responsible for more than just yourself and your passengers. Think of the lives that have been lost and ruined because of a momentary distraction. I am sure your wife, friends or boss would rather wait a few minutes to hear from you to ensure that you arrive alive.


Have a question for the Mayor? Send it to [email protected]

Have a question for the Chief? Send it to [email protected]

This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at [email protected].

Stay up to date with our news alerts by following us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

**Click here to join over 20,000 receiving our Whatsapp Status updates!**

**Click here to join the official TLS WhatsApp Community!**

Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected], Text 415-857-2667, or WhatsApp 609-661-8668.


  1. FACT: 90% of ALL traffic FATALITIES are caused by talking and texting on a phone. The other 10% is by intoxicated drivers. If you are talking and/or texting while you drive, you have a 90% chance of killing someone and/or yourself. You have 100% chance of getting into some other kind of accident serious injuries included while talking and/or texting while you drive. This is a message you need to GET. Respond with ACTION. You are 10% away from being a murderer with no second chance. Remember, “Just this one time” could be “Just your last time”. Or someone else, or your family.

  2. how can you say rout 9 traffic , Oak st traffic, Pine st traffic, County line etc.. is because people are reading their texts?? come on,get with the program

  3. Please stop asking for Police to give out tickets , Nothing good will come out Cops Peiniging us , rather speak to Askonim and Rabbonim to speak about this by their Pirkei Avos Shiur .

Comments are closed.