Lakewood Family Hospitalized for CO Poisoning; Home Had No Alarm

lfd 5Five people were hospitalized early this morning after falling sick to Carbon Monoxide in their home, Lakewood Fire Department officials confirmed to TLS.

The incident occurred at about 5 AM when one of the girls woke up and felt sick. She went to check on the rest of her family, and found some of them throwing up and feeling sick, officials said. Some also appeared to not be getting up.

The girl ran to a neighbor’s home and phoned police.

Upon arrival, police and firefighters found the home to have a Carbon Monoxide reading of at least 475 Parts Per Million (PPM), and immediately vacated the home. According to officials, Carbon Monoxide above 9 PPM is considered above normal. Any reading of 35 PPM is considered a potentially dangerous reading of CO.

Paramedics were dispatched to the home as well.

The family members, 5 in total, were transported by EMS and Lakewood First Aid to Kimball Medical Center. Their condition was not immediately known.

“There was no Carbon Monoxide alarm in the home,” the Fire Department official told TLS.

Officials say the Carbon Monoxide was caused by a malfunctioned gas heater.

[TLS-85]

This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at [email protected].

Stay up to date with our news alerts by following us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

**Click here to join over 20,000 receiving our Whatsapp Status updates!**

**Click here to join the official TLS WhatsApp Community!**

Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected], Text 415-857-2667, or WhatsApp 609-661-8668.

6 COMMENTS

  1. I bought a detector but it was so sensitive and beeped all the time without (according to the fire dept. and gas co.) it wasn’t anything. Any advice?

  2. Every home, especially one with children, should have a smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide detector. These inexpensive items can save lives. This was a tragedy that was avoided because the young girl woke up. If she was overcome and didn’t wake up, it’s possible all could have been lost. It’s foolish and irresponsible not to protect yourselves and your families.

  3. The police who initially responded saved that family’s life. I heard they discovered them vomiting and unconscious and carried them down a flight of stairs. Kudos to them. They know who they are!

Comments are closed.