Fire Department Responds To Multiple Carbon Monoxide Calls

CAUTION: Over the last few days – including this afternoon – the Lakewood Fire Department has responded to multiple Carbon Monoxide calls around town. In some instances, the Carbon Monoxide readings were quite high, and could have proved fatal in a couple hours.

The high levels of Carbon Monoxide in some – or most – cases, were reportedly due to a generator placed too close to an open window of the home.

Generators, which should always be left outdoors, should never be left near an open window or door to a home – especially over night. 


Portable Generator Safety:

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC):

  • From 1999 to 2010, nearly 600 generator-related carbon monoxide (CO) deaths have been reported to the CPSC.
  • CO poisoning from generator use causes an annual average of 81 deaths. The majority of the deaths occurred as a result of using a generator inside a home’s living space, in the basement or in the garage.
  • One generator produces as much CO as hundreds of cars. CO from a generator is deadly and can incapacitate and kill you within minutes.

Download This Poster (PDF, 590 Kb)

Portable generators are useful when temporary or remote electric power is needed, but they can be hazardous. The primary hazards to avoid when using them are carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock or electrocution, and fire.

The U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) would like you to know that there are simple steps you can take to prevent the loss of life and property resulting from improper use of portable generators.

To Avoid Carbon Monoxide Hazards:

  • Always use generators outdoors, away from doors, windows and vents.
  • NEVER use generators in homes, garages, basements, crawl spaces, or other enclosed or partially enclosed areas, even with ventilation.
  • Follow manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Install battery-operated or plug-in (with battery backup) carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home, following manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Test CO alarms often and replace batteries when needed.

To Avoid Electrical Hazards:

  • Keep the generator dry. Operate on a dry surface under an open, canopy- like structure.
  • Dry your hands before touching the generator.
  • Plug appliances directly into generator or use a heavy-duty outdoor- rated extension cord. Make sure the entire extension cord is free of cuts or tears and the plug has all 3 prongs, especially a grounding pin.
  • NEVER plug the generator into a wall outlet. This practice, known as backfeeding, can cause an electrocution risk to utility workers and others served by the same utility transformer.
  • If necessary to connect generator to house wiring to power appliances, have a qualified electrician install appropriate equipment. Or, your utility company may be able to install an appropriate transfer switch.

To Avoid Fire Hazards:

  • Before refueling the generator, turn it off and let it cool. Fuel spilled on hot engine parts could ignite.
  • Always store fuel outside of living areas in properly labeled, non-glass containers.
  • Store fuel away from any fuel-burning appliance. TLS.
This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at [email protected].

Stay up to date with our news alerts by following us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

**Click here to join over 20,000 receiving our Whatsapp Status updates!**

**Click here to join the official TLS WhatsApp Community!**

Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected], Text 415-857-2667, or WhatsApp 609-661-8668.


  1. In one instance I know of that happened last week an entire family was saved because their alarm went off. They were all fast asleep! The levels were so high the FD wouldn’t even walk into the house without protective gear. Make sure you have a smoke and carbon monoxide detector. They save lives!!

  2. Can someone please post safety info about leaving the gas oven on and the burners on top for long amounts of time, with or without a blech, with or without pots of water boiling on top? Thanks.

  3. People living in multifamily units, townhouses, duplexes, have too small of a yard to even consider using a generator. Many homes have yards just barely 20 feet long.!!!

  4. number 2 , it is dangerous. for any amount of time. from friday night to sat we answer soooooooooo many co calls . is it really worth risking your entire familys life ? please dont do it !!!!!

  5. The person writing about leaving on the gas probably has no power and is trying to slightly warm their house by leaving on the oven and gas burners.

Comments are closed.