(PHOTO of room) A family is lucky to be alive tonight after a fire torched their living room area early this morning. At about 4:00 a.m., a local resident was wakened by his smoke alarm and smelled smoke coming from the main floor. He quickly told his wife and children to get into one room while he goes downstairs. He grabbed his cell phone, called the Fire Departement and headed downstairs. As he came down the stairs, he saw the 5 foot flames burning where he lit the Menorah. He grabbed the fire extinguisher and managed to extinguish the flames. The family then walked over to a neighbor’s home where they remained until this evening.
The Firefighter who responded said, the family had approximately 5 minutes until the entire home may have been totally engulfed in flames.
Shows the importance of fire detectors. we all have a responsibility to make sure we have them and check them periodically. If we fail to do so nd anyone gets injured is as if we caused it
Don’t leave candles burning when you go to bed. Flames do not recognize any religion.
Where did this happen?who’s menorah is lit at 4am?
4 AM and the menorah is still burning?
as long as the candle still burning……
It’s shiyur Chazon Ish & Brisk put together…
he should have asked a shaila if he was allowed to put out the flames. im not so sue he was allowed to do this on shabbos
To KGB if all you are trying to do is start a debate on this subject what would you do if it was YOUR HOUSE.
If you want to go out friday night at 4am ??? ask go ask a rov, be my guest others have more sense.
It was a sacona for the whole family, my be if someone in YOUR FAMILY was having a heart attack maybe would go ask a rov if your should call Hatzolah…..
Think before you type, or better yet stop being frumer that G-D.
Before commenting open up a Shulchan Aruch (334) and see that the Ramah says in the Hagah that it is allowed to put it out in a place where there is a Chashash Sakanah.
Also, the Chazon Eish says that most fires today are considered Safek Pikuach Nefesh (because of the chance of spreading) and you are allowed to put it out.
Putting out a fire in a home – contrary to common conception – is a Drabanan (unless you’re doing it for Pechamim) since it’s Eina Tzrichaha Legufah, and Safek Drabanan Lekulah.
how did tls put this post up on shabbos?
The most ridiculous comment on this thread was thankfully corrected by talmid chochom. Yes you ca put out fires. as a matter of fact every shabbos chanuka before going to shul i tell my wife that if chas vshalom a fire gets out of control from a nkocked over menorah she is allowed to extinguish it. as talmid chachom said- a drabanon and most likely a sakana to others makes this permitted.
Comments are closed.