Family Saved By A Chanukah Miracle And A $30 Fire Extinguisher

PHOTOS: A Lakewood family is lucky to be alive today after a Chanukah candle fire was extinguished before it could consume their home. About an hour after lighting the Chanukah Menorah, the homeowner walked into his study to find the table of the Menorahs engulfed in flames, which melted away much of the table.

The Fire Department responded to the home, but the homeowner had already extinguished the fire prior to their arrival.

“Baruch Hashem I had a fire extinguisher nearby and was able to put out the fire myself”, the resident tells TLS. “I B’H was spared from what would have certainly been a destroyed house and C”V worse, with my wife and 3 kids being upstairs.”The fireman called it a “Hanukkah Miracle”, and I agree”, says the homeowner.

The resident says he’s publicizing this story in hopes of encouraging others to purchase a basic fire extinguisher for their home.

“The $30 served me well”, the homeowner says.

The Fire Department remained at the home to ensure the home was properly ventilated. TLS.

 

This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at [email protected].

Stay up to date with our news alerts by following us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

**Click here to join over 15,000 receiving our Whatsapp Status updates!**

**Click here to join the official TLS WhatsApp Community!**

Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected], Text 415-857-2667, or WhatsApp 609-661-8668.

Check out the latest on TLS instagram

12 COMMENTS

  1. Although this is a great and inspiring story, the title is in bad taste. A Chanuka miracle and a fire extinguisher? It reminds me of the joke about the guy who couldn’t find a parking space and prayed to G-D and promised to correct his ways if only G-D would be so kind and give him a place to park his car. Suddenly, right in front of him a car pulls out leaving him a space right in front of his office. Turning his face up to heaven the man said, “Its ok G-D, I found one already”!

  2. Wow. Assuming that it was safe to do so, that was quick thinking. I’ll be buying one today. Once you’re at it, make sure it’s an ABC extinguisher, which can be used for electrical fires as well.

  3. I think it would also be very helpful if the story could explain how the fire started, if that is known, so people might learn what to avoid.
    A further lesson might be to avoid using plastic tables. I know they’re inexpensive and popular, but, obviously not a good surface if something goes wrong. If you have to use such a surface, I suggest placing the menorah(s) on metal pans that have a 1/4″ of water at the bottom. Just sayin’.

  4. I wish I had a nickle for every candle/ Christmas tree/ menorah/curtain/tablecloth fire I’ve responded to in the past forty years! An extinguisher, smoke alarm and Carbon monoxide detector all for around 100 bucks total are the best Christmas/ Chanukah presents you could buy for your family which protect them all year long,

  5. The fire seems to have started from one of the $1.00 Menorah’s which have a space on the bottom of each candle. The wax and wick “leaked out” and spread. There were no kids in the room and I had checked on the Menorah’s a few minutes earlier.

    Either way, having the Menorah’s in pans, nothing extra laying around and a fire extinguisher in the house would be smart.

    I had the fire extinguisher at home because of an experience many years ago in Yeshiva, where if we had had one, a building would not have burnt down.

    Trust me – It saved my house..it could save yours. Please get one.

    A Freilichen Chanukah.

  6. Thank goodness no one was hurt. It’s the best thing not to leave chanukah candles unattended. They burn out quickly which won’t take too much of a person’s time.

  7. #3, you are absolutely correct.This isn’t the first fire I’ve heard about when menorahs were lit on a plastic table. The heat melts the plastic, which causes the menorahs to tilt and then fall. Plastic and heat don’t go together. Please take the advice that #3 gave if you use a plastic table.

Comments are closed.