Garden State Parkway (GSP) Interchange 109 is located along the GSP between MP 109.5 to MP 110.5 in Middletown
Township, Monmouth County and is a full interchange with the GSP Northbound and Southbound local roadways (outer roadways) and Newman Springs Road (County Route 520).
The primary issues which need to be addressed are eliminating vehicular queues that currently extend onto the GSP Northbound local roadway from the GSP Northbound exit ramp and improving traffic flow of traffic destined to/from the GSP by mitigating peak period traffic congestion along Newman Springs Road within the vicinity of the interchange. These issues result in operational and safety concerns on the GSP and local roadways servicing the interchange.
Improvements proposed to address the existing operational and safety concerns at Interchange 109 include the following:
• Reconfigure intersections on Newman Springs Road within the limits of the interchange, including
Schultz Drive West, Half Mile Road, Phoenix Drive and Schultz Drive East
• Eliminate the existing Newman Springs Road eastbound jug handle at Half Mile Road for left turns to Half Mile
Road and U-turn movements to the GSP Northbound entrance ramp and provide a new entrance loop ramp
and bridge over Newman Springs Road. Eastbound left turns to Half Mile Road are proposed as a
direct left turn movement from Newman Springs Road.
• Provide additional lanes along Newman Springs Road within the limits of the interchange to address existing
operational and capacity issues.
• Replace the four functionally obsolete GSP bridges over Newman Springs Road to accommodate
the additional lanes and to provide improved vertical clearances on Newman Springs Road .
• Realign the GSP Northbound roadways towards the median (to the west) to improve substandard conditions
to current standards.
• Improve substandard acceleration and deceleration lanes on the GSP Mainline entrance and exit ramps to
• Provide improvements to pedestrian facilities along Newman Springs Road within the limits of the interchange.
• Increase the capacity of the Park & Ride Lots north of Newman Springs Road.
The permit and final design stage is expected to be completed in 2015 – 2016, and construction would take place 2017 – 2019.
Written Comments are Welcome and may be Mailed to:
New Jersey Turnpike Authority,
P.O. Box 5042, Woodbridge, NJ 07095-5042
Attn: Maynard Abuan, P.E., Project Engineer