11 preliminary Questions to LBOE Business Administrator: All the questions listed below, apply to the current and the previous school years. 1. How many children are currently (9-15-09) enrolled by the District in contracted preschool programs? What about at 10-15-2008? Are there other preschools funded in whole or in part by the District, that are not ‘contracted’? if so, please list answers to the questions below, for those as well. 2. For each preschool, list the # of days annually, daily hours,
and tuition cost? Source of Funds, (Federal, State, Local)? As applicable , please list the specific gov’t program from where the funding is derived.
3. Are there non-public school-funded children at this preschool facility? How many (in each preschool)? How much do nonpublic school children pay per month in tuition for comparable days/hours? The intent is to find out if the District-paid tuition is subsidizing, in whole or in part, the other children at the facility.
Please list all other services that are provided, at LBOE cost, to these ‘contracted’ preschoolers? e.g., transportation, therapies, etc., AND specify the cost amount for each service, source (program name/or local taxes) per child, per month, and total per year.
5. For each preschool, please list all services/amenities/expenses that are included in the Tuition, and NOT paid for separately by the LBOE, (e.g., Rent? Special services not paid by District, etc.).
6. For each preschool, please list address, operator, licensure required by law, and licensure/credentials/qualifications in possession. Do Lakewood’s religious school require the same licensure? If exempt, under special exemption(s) for religious or educational
institutions, or other exemption, please so indicate.
7. For each preschool contract, please specify if contract was awarded based on a RFP,
date of RFP, and how many responded to the RFP. What were the applicable minimum legal
requirements, and what additional requirements were specified in the RFP, if any. Where relevant, why were additional requirements inserted, on whose say so?
Operation of which of the currently ‘contracted’ preschools would the District consider as eligible to be transferred to local nonprofit schools, if the tuition presently paid by the District could be cut in half? By Two-Thirds? Would there be any licensure issues that you know of that could block such a transfer, if significant cost savings could be shown?
9. Does the District currently fund, partially or entirely, any preschool services under a
religious or educational Day Care/Preschool institution or license exemption of any kind.
If so, please list facility and all relevant costs information, as per the above Qs 1 through 8.
10. Why the Middleman? Is there any legal impediment for the District to administer preschool funds directly, under Title 1 or other sources, and contract with Lakewood Mosdos directly for preschools, eliminating the markup of Third-Party Providers? How much is that markup? Based on going tuition rate charged to private preschool clients vs the District, it appears to be a 177% markup, $1,250 vs $450, before transportation, much higher when transportation is included (paid by District, not by private clients). What’s your estimate of current third-party provider mark-up?
11. Funding for special ed and related services (therapies) is awarded on a preferential basis to children with special needs enrolled in contracted preschools. This money is being diverted from children with similiar needs enrolled in Mosdos. What’s the justfication? Who agreed to this? Who authorized it?